Aerial View of Dairsie (35KB)

Welcome to Dairsie

Whether you are a local catching up on village news, a former local finding out what has been happening in the village, someone who has family in the village, or just a casual browser interested in seeing what the village is like, you are equally welcome.

We hope you enjoy browsing the site.

War Memorial

At the end of The Great War, a gift of a plot of land to the village by local farmer, James Logan, coupled by the fundraising efforts of the villagers, saw the Dairsie War Memorial Hall erected. One of the benefactors was Henry Asquith, MP for East Fife and later Prime Minister, who donated £2.

The Hall was completed and opened in 1922 at which time a memorial plaque was unveiled listing the names of the 14 local men who gave their lives. That plaque remains to this day. However, for whatever reason, no plaque was erected for those who lost their lives in WW2. Investigations have revealed that 4 servicemen and 1 civilian should be remembered, and they are:

  • Robert Leslie Gordon, Driver, Royal Army Service Corps, died 29 May 1940 aged 29, West Dron, Dairsie;
  • Walter Davidson, Private, 6th Bn., Black Watch, died 31 May 1940 aged 34, Seggie Hill, Dairsie;
  • Philip Lindsay, Private, 2nd Bn., Black Watch, died 21 November 1941 aged 22, Pitbladdo Farm, Cupar;
  • William George, Sgt. Air Gnr., 158 Sqdn., Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, died 30 May 1943 aged 20, Woodend, Dairsie;
  • Margaret Young Johnstone, Civilian War Dead, of 34 Crossgate, Cupar, died 1 November 1940 aged 13, at Craigfortune, Dairsie
  • In order that they may be rightly honoured, a committee of representatives of the various groups in Dairsie has been convened and are actively discussing the possibility of installing a further plaque. We sincerely hope that this list is complete but anyone with any further information should contact either Blair Littlejohn, 14 Osnaburgh Court, Dairsie, telephone 01334 870007, or Mrs Sarah Whitson, telephone 01334 871414. Importantly, Blair and Sarah would also like to hear from relatives of those listed above.

    Around the village

    Pitcairn Park (21KB)

    Pitcairn Park.

    The park is in the centre of the village and the plaque among the daffodils reads "Pitcairn Park Established in 1897 by a generous donation of Mrs. Georgia Pitcairn of Pitcullo. Erected by Dairsie Millennium Committee."


    Dairsie Memorial Hall (26KB)

    Dairsie Memorial Hall.

    The hall was built in 1922 to commemorate those who died in the First World War and is available for hire by members of the community for a variety of functions and receptions.


    Dairsie Parish Church (16KB)

    Worship in Dairsie.

    Following the Union with St John's in Cupar in 2009, the Church is now known as the "Cupar St John's and Dairsie United Parish Church of Scotland". Worship in Dairsie takes place every Sunday at 9:45am and in St John's at 11:45am. The minister of the united charge is the Rev. Jan Steyn.

    For further information on services and events in the united charge, including who to contact, please visit the St John's and Dairsie United Parish Church website.


    Dairsie Primary School (31KB)

    Dairsie Primary School.

    The first Dairsie school was about halfway along the left hand side of the lane which runs from Dairsie to Middlefoodie. This was replaced in 1868 with a new school and school house on the site now occupied by the present school. A new school house was built in 1968 (now a private house) and work started on building a new school on the site of the old school house. In 1970 the new school was opened and the old school removed and the ground cleared to create the new playground.